Glen Jean, Lower Loup & Deepwater Railroad
On May 10, 1895, the Glen Jean Lower Loup and Deepwater Railroad (GJLL&D) was incorporated, with all the company's capital stock being owned by the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company (C&O).
During the summer of 1895, the GJLL&D began construction of a line from a connection with the C&O Railway near Glen Jean, WV, building toward undeveloped coal lands along White Oak Creek where soon the coal camps of Wingrove, Scarbro, Whipple and Carlisle would be developed. However, the progress of construction on this line was hampered for several years, due to a legal dispute with the Kanawha, Glen Jean & Eastern Railway over right of way rights.
Following the settlement of the dispute, the GJLL&D completed its line between Glen Jean to Carlisle in December of 1900. On December 21, 1901, the C&O acquired the GJLL&D, which consisted of 3.60 miles of track between Glen Jean and Carlisle, all of which was in Fayette County.
During the early 1900's, the White Oak Railway operated passenger and freight trains along the former GJLL&D trackage between Glen Jean and Carlisle, under an agreement with the C&O Railway.