Greenbrier & New River Railroad
The Greenbrier and New River Railroad Company (G&NR) was incorporated on August 6, 1881, in the State of West Virginia; on August 3, 1881, in Fayette County; and on August 4, 1881, in Summers County.
In October of 1887, the G&NR began construction of a railroad from South Side Junction, opposite present-day Thurmond, WV, to Rush Run, in Fayette County. Under an agreement dated March 11, 1889, the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company leased this section of G&NR trackage. At the time of the agreement this line was still under construction, that section being completed in April of 1889. In October of 1891, the G&NR began construction of an extension of track from Rush Run to Butchers Branch, that section being completed in May of 1894.
In October of 1901, stockholders of the C&O Railway approved the merger of the Greenbrier and New River Railroad Company with the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Company. On November 21, 1901, the C&O acquired 12.25 miles of former G&NR trackage, running between South Side Junction to Butchers Branch.
See also: New River Bridge Company