Monongahela Valley Traction Company
Chartered May 17, 1912, the Monongahela Valley Traction Company, of Fairmont, WV, was an electric railroad formed by consolidation of Fairmont & Clarksburg Traction Co., Fairmont & Northern Co., and Clarksburg & Weston Electric Railway Company. The company's name was changed to Monongahela Power and Railway Company on May 11, 1921, and on Feb. 28, 1923 the company's name was changed again to the Monongahela West Penn Public Service Company.
The Monongahela Valley Traction Company constituted the largest network of interurban and electric railroads ever built in West Virginia. In addition to operating the branch lines, outlined in the following sections, the company also controlled the Fairmont & Mannington Railroad.
Fairmont & Clarksburg Branch
This branch, completed in December, 1906, ran mostly along the west bank of the West Fork River between Fairmont and Clarksburg, leaving it only at tow or three points to cut off long ox-bows in the latter stream. The branch line experienced heavy passenger traffic due to the many coal mines along this valley between the two cities.
Built during 1910, the branch extended from Fairmont to Fairview, Marion County, via Riverville, a distance of about 16 miles. The road had a large passenger traffic, due to coal mines and oil and gas fields located along the line. It was a very important feeder system to the Fairmont region, and furnished an easy means for the farmers of northeastern Marion to reach the county seat at Fairmont.