Nuttallburg Mine - Scale Drawings
The drawings are of the mine's tipple, headhouse and conveyor system as moderized in the 1920's. Since the Nuttallburg operation operated through 1958, the plans would be appropriate for modeling a coal mining operation from the early-1920's through the late-1950's.
The Nuttallburg mine was originally opened in the 1873 by John Nuttall, an industrialist from Pennsylvania. Nuttall and his heirs operated the mine for several decades. In 1920 the Nuttall operation was leased by the Fordson Coal Company, as part of Henry Ford's plan to obtain coal for the River Rouge Ford Automobile Plant. In the late 1920's, the Maryland New River Coal Company leased the property, followed by Garnet Coal Company who operated the plant from 1954 to 1958, when the Nuttall operation closed.
Scale drawings of the Nuttallburg mining complex can be viewed at WVRailroad's image gallery.